Capable, Competent and Authentic

I am all about following children’s interests, building on those interests while all the time viewing and treating them as competent individuals, no matter the age.  This likely has to do with what I studied in college, but the nonetheless it has shaped me into the mother I am now.

Any time you come to my house, it will likely not look the same.  Currently, the entire downstairs has been transformed into a HUGE fort- blankets, couches and cardboard boxes and have transformed my entire living room and despite not having anywhere to sit and rest, I couldn’t be happier. Why? Because I see learning and growth happening!

Allow your children to use authentic items. Reggio inspired
Check out this realistic kitchen area for kids!
Photo credit: Pinterest Reggio-insoired-spaces
Ok, where am I going with all this? And please don’t stop by my house today or for the rest of the week- you will have no-where to walk or sit! Mishael inspired me, yet again, to blog about another child-led activity that will probably require you to bite your tongue and trust your kiddo’s.

I caught Mishael (3.5 years) up on the kitchen counter a few days ago playing with our espresso machine.  He had the coffee grinder along with beans and a beautiful china cup.  “Mom, I’m making you a cup of coffee!” I had been so close to telling him to get off the counter, quit making a mess with the coffee grounds and not to handle my china! But then, he was just so sweet- wanting to “make” me a cup of coffee.  How could I say no?

Instead, I pulled out my phone and took a video as he did his best to remember what my husband or I do to make coffee.  He must have stayed on the counter for 30 minutes, playing in such detail.  Although coffee grounds had spilled on the counter, it wasn’t anything that couldn’t be cleaned up after.  He handled my china cup gently and carefully- and the best part was watching him learn.

He used what knowledge he had in real life with authentic real-life items.  I was a bit nervous about the china at first, but I remembered what our teachers always taught us in college- children are competent.  Mishael had watched us being careful with china and new exactly how to handle it with care.

So- how often do you let your children use real-life items around the house?  At young ages they are absorbing so much information about the world around them but we often don’t let them practice or investigate their theories about life, or give them room to explore and understand.
I’m not telling you to give your child an entire china set and please do what you’re comfortable with.  But consider doing less plastic toys and letting them explore with authentic items this week.  Let them put their theories of life into practice!

If your child likes to copy you when you wash dishes or sweep- let them give it a go. Even if it makes more of a mess (which it probably will). If they like watching you cook, why not make a play space for them with real flour and water and see what they mix up.  Follow their interests, expand on them and give them real items! Will it make your house messy? Probably. But messes can be cleaned. Memories, moments and learning is priceless!


I would LOVE to hear what your children get into this week and what opportunities you have given them with real life items to expand their learning and interests. Post your comments or photo’s below!

*I was so busy filming Mishael I forgot to snap my own photo's, but check out the beautiful kitchen area in the photo above.  What an authentic space for kids!*

Comments