The Kind Word Jar

By now, I’m sure you’ve noticed a common theme in my blogs- that of connecting with your children, especially through words. I am not the best gift-giver or speaker always, but I do like to write.  I’ve posted a few blogs that involve writing out some thoughtful words.

In celebration of February and it being Valentine’s, I’d like to suggest this simple and meaningful idea to do together with your children.  All you need is a mason jar and some slips of paper!
To begin, jot down a few thoughts about why you appreciate your family.  You along with your children can do this.  Place them in the jar to read later.  


Kind Words Jar: enriched children
PC: lollyjane.com
Throughout the day and week, pay attention to those special moments when someone does something kind (this can even be as simple as listening the first time when you ask your son or daughter to put on their shoes!).  Encourage your children to be aware of when their family members are being kind, and write these down.

This isn’t an activity to guilt trip your children into being kinder or having better behaviour. As parents, my husband and I believe in speaking life into our boys, even in those moments where they are misbehaving and driving us crazy.  We know that they are not bad, although sometimes they may not choose their actions wisely.

As you sit and reflect together on the kind words or deeds you and your family members have done, this is a great opportunity to remind your children how competent, capable, empathetic and wonderful they are.  It also is a nice opportunity to show how other’s kind actions impact them and others around them positively.

So there it is…my Valentine’s Day blog. I hope you enjoy connecting with your children- and adding yet another Mason jar activity to your home!

Comments