Is it Spring Yet?

After the very unexpected snow storm a couple weeks ago, I could not contain my excitement as I noticed that underneath all that snow, my perennials still managed to bud.  After a spell of sun this week, nearly all the snow has melted and I really am amazed at these phenomenal plants that don't let anything get them down!
Planting with kids: spring activities
Yes we are all still in pj's!

I may be rushing Winter just a tad, but I was inspired to do some planting with my boys today! This is a great activity for all ages- even babies! (I'll get more into that later!)

I already had a few potted flowers at home as well as some empty planting pots from last summer, so we used these.  I would recommend using any perennial flower as they are invincible!  It is so fun to watch them bloom in the Spring, flourish in Summer and "hibernate" in the Winter. (Also a lovely learning opportunity for your children.)

While my one year old made a mess of dirt, my eldest and I filled the pot with dirt, "tilled" it as needed and finally dug a space to place our flower.  We had so much fun doing this that we also planted some cilantro.  I chose cilantro partly because I already had the seeds and use it on practically everything I cook- but again, it is also a herb that is easy to grow and fully matures after about 2 weeks.

Planting with kids: spring activities
We poked small holes in the dirt and my eldest really enjoyed dropping the seeds and covering them up.  Upon watering both of the pots, I let Mishael choose a sunny spot where he would like to put them both- this was actually what I had the most difficulty with!  I love arranging my home and yard how I like.  However, even more so, I like to show my children that I trust them and believe in their decisions, so I had to take a breath...and let him choose.

Below I've jotted down some brief suggestions for different ages and how you can adapt this activity!
🎕Ages 0-2:   
This age is all about the senses!  You can still plant flowers, but I wouldn't expect them to look perfect.  Instead, put out a tray or bin of dirt, some shovels and flowers.  Let them see, feel and explore with the textures and colours!
🎕Ages 2-5:
Feeling and touching is still pretty fun at this age and important.  Guide them through the planting process, allowing them to do all of it or as much as possible on their own.  Begin introducing big concepts of spring, seasons and plant growth.
🎕Ages 5-10:
Your children should already be familiar with how to plant and can likely do most of this on their own!  Focus on the plant or flower you've chosen and the conditions they need to grow and why.    If everyone is patient enough- this is a wonderful year-long project, as you watch it grow and change during the different seasons.  Be sure to ask a lot of open-ended questions and explore the answers together, encouraging understanding and independence!

Comments