Journaling for Kids | Enriched Children

I've almost always kept a journal. Over the years the topics have changed a lot.  Nowadays the pages seem to be filled with silly stories about my children. Does anyone relate?

I wanted to try journaling with my older son so this week I bought him a notebook and we took some time to sit and chat together about what on earth journaling is!
Journaling for kids

This activity will probably look different for almost everyone and the content will differ depending on age.  The main things is that we are with our children and connecting throughout the process!

I chose to reflect on my sons day with him.  What were the good parts, bad parts, something that he is looking forward to and so on.  We talked for a bit and then he chose what he wanted to paint about (we chose paints because I already had them out).

Ultimately, you and your children can decide what kind of journal it will be.  If your children are older they can try writing, but if they're too young to write, let them draw about their day and you can add captions or phrases.  Adding some captions is important because you can look back and reflect later on together!

Journaling for kidsI also have a one-year-old so I let him finger paint- adapt this activity to the age of your children!

Some journaling ideas:
  • What "colour" was your day?
  • What "feeling" was today?
  • A nature journal
  • Dreams and passions journal
  • Art journal
  • A re-cap on the day
  • Poem or creative writing journal
The materials we used for our journaling today were:


Comments