You've got Mail | Enriched Children

create a post office for kids
Every month I have a corner of the house that I change up for the boys.  Lately, it's been full of a lot of Spring-centered items.  This week I thought it would be fun to create a cozy writing center as I noticed my older son has shown a big interest in writing letters and names.

More particularly, by adding a few simple items I was able to create a post office!  Writing letters is so rare these days (at least for us it is), but my children found this to be such an exciting way of sharing notes and messages with one another.  It became so special to them, that they called their letters birthday gifts!

All you really need is paper, pencils, and envelopes.  So simple! Arrange them however you like, ensuring that they are set out in a way appealing to the eye.  I placed my envelopes in a basket, but creating your own mailbox is as simple as using a cardboard box and making a slit through it.
Create a post office for kids

What I loved most about this activity, was not how much it developed their fine motor skills, but rather the thoughtful notes we wrote to each other.  It was as much fun reading them as writing them and really helped us bond and connect as a family.

I'd love to hear how you set up your writing station/post office.  Comment below!

Comments