Watch it Grow: Log Book | Enriched Children

I love the sun and pretty well live for summer.  However, ever since getting into gardening, I've realized what a beautiful season Spring is.  Watching the perennials sprout up after Winter and planting new flowers together with my boys have been a joy.  My youngest likes to play with the dirt and pick flower petals, but my older son has been quite interested in planting and watching our vegetables and flowers grow.

Make a spring log book with your children
I decided to make a log book with my boys to be more deliberate about our gardening, observations and this growing process.  This can be done in many ways.  If you happen to be out shopping, you can pick out a notebook for your child to decorate at home.  If you’re like me and would rather stay away from the crowds, simply fold a few pages of blank paper in half and secure with staples.  Your children can decorate the front page and make a cover.

I’ll leave it up to you and your children as to how you organize your log book.  However, be sure to create a space for each plant and a few spots to log twice a week how it has changed and grown.  You can jot down (your child might prefer to draw!) changes in colours, smells, growth and appearance.

At the end of summer, reflect together from the beginning to the end of your log book. The process of plant growth is fascinating and I hope you and your children get a taste of this too!

And for those of you that have been participating in Monday's blog challenge (7 days to connect with your children: How is Day 5 going- "Do what they Want"? Read the full blog here!

Comments